Sunday, June 17, 2007

William Butler Yeats

While reading the section on William Butler Yates, I found something interesting the writing entitled "The Lake Isle of Innisfree." He states, "I will arise and go now, for always night and day I hear lake water lapping with low sounds by the shore; While I stand on the roadway, or on the pavements grey, I hear it in the deep heart's core" (1117). This passage is interesting to me because I believe that this passage is talking about how strongly Yates felt for the country as opposed to the town. He moved a lot as a child but felt most comfortable in the rural part of his country of Ireland. I can relate to this because when I was younger, I moved more times then I can probably count. My dad was in the military so staying in one spot was not an option in most situations. However, like William Yates, there was always on place that always stuck out in my mind as a place that I wanted to always go back too. Being bounced around is pretty hard on somebody to have a somewhat normal life. I believe that the thought of a place that Yates would like to be at helped him adjust to the living conditions that he considered less farvorable at the time. However, if he would not have had this type of upbringing, he would not have wrote some of the works that he did. It seems that even though there are many things that we dislike in life, the experiences that we gain can prove to be extremely valuable to us later on in life.

1 comment:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Robert,

Good passage from Yeats (not Yates) to discuss, and several good insights from your own experiences. Glad to see you exploring a different direction for this posting.