Thursday, June 21, 2007

Letters and Journal Entries on the Position of Women

I find it really strange how women should act, and then there is something that me to believe that there was a lot of different views of women. In Queen Victoria's "Letters and Journal Entries on the Position of Women," she states, Since it has pleased Providence to place me in this station, I shall do m utmost to fulfil my duty towards m country; I am very young and perhaps in many, though not in all things, inexperienced, but I am sure, that very few have more real good will and more real desire to do what is fi and right than I have" (576). I find that it is kind of strange that if the Victorians had such a bad view of women, why would they allow women to become the leader of their country. Queen Victoria and Queen Elizabeth were some of the country of Englands greatest leaders so how could it be that the whole country had such a distorted view of women. This is not to say that all men viewed women as servants, but it seemed to be the general concensus for the most part. In this quote from Victoria, she has determination and desire to achieve and do what is best for the country that has put faith in her ability to lead. The view of women in this society is one of the strangest ways that women have been treated that I have ever read about.

3 comments:

Jonathan.Glance said...

Robert,

Congratulations on having reached your 20th posting.

I agree with you that the Victorians held what seem to us to be odd and inconsistent views of women, especially in regards to their queen, Victoria. It was almost as if she occupied two different roles, as monarch and woman (or rather lady). What is even more striking is that she held the view that women are inferior as firmly as anyone, and so adamantly opposed votes, professions or higher education for women.

Unknown said...

I liked your posting and also wonder why this hypocricy exists. I would really like to hear the reasoning from Victoria herself. These situations have presented themselves throughout history and we can only wonder why they exist.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Webcam, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://webcam-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.