Thursday, June 7, 2007

Newgate

The most interesting reading that I have read so far in this class has to be "A Visit to Newgate." In this writing, the reader seems to me to be transfered to the prison. The way that the narrator tells the story makes the images seem real to the reader. This writing seems to be kind of depressing to the reader. However, the way that it is written helped me feel like I was interested in something that I will probably never experience. It brings the reader to the harsh relization about what prison life was like. The way Dickens describes in such detail the daily activities of the prison is quite amazing. Although the subject is depressing, I think it helps us realize that even though we think we are having a bad time, we do not go to sleep knowing that this time will be our last time resting on earth. We at least have a false sense of security about tomorrow. I do not think that Dickens wrote this to make the reader feel depressed, but instead, to make the reader realize that every freedom that we have should not be taken for granted but should fully be taken advantage of. I think that it was written in a time that people were getting comfortable with their way of life, and this writting was meant to help people realize that even though they were properous, there were other people who were ending up in a place because of the gap between the people who were wealthy and poor. This seems to me to be pointing out the large gap between the rich and the poor that was developing during England at this time. I really enjoyed this reading and believe that there is much to be learned from it.

4 comments:

kyle mcnease said...

WOW! Man, there is a section in what you wrote that hit me right in the gut! A solid gut-punch! Knocked the wind right out of me. Here it is:

"It brings the reader to the harsh relization about what prison life was like. The way Dickens describes in such detail the daily activities of the prison is quite amazing. Although the subject is depressing, I think it helps us realize that even though we think we are having a bad time, we do not go to sleep knowing that this time will be our last time resting on earth. We at least have a false sense of security about tomorrow."

"We at least have a false sense of security about tomorrow." Too much truth for my fiction! Seriously! My church buried a kid today that was only 12. He was at Vacation Bible School on Monday(laughing and playing)... and gone on Tuesday! Just like that! Man that quote is going to haunt me. Good writing.

Kyle McNease

Jonathan.Glance said...

Robert,

Good first blog posting. I think it is usually a good idea to focus on a text that meant something to you, or that produced a reaction (emotional or otherwise). Dickens's "Visit to Newgate" certainly qualifies.

You make several insightful observations about the text. You rely on paraphrase and summary, though, rather than quoting and discussing specific passages. That tends to weaken your posting. Be sure to start from quotations and analyze them.

Wanda said...

I too was very happy to finally find something that I felt that I could intelligently read in Visit to Newgate. I enjoyed the direct, to the point observations with which the narriator took us through the prison. As he said early on, we took no measurements...he wasn't intersted in the architecture of the building...he was interested in the architecture or character of the inhabitants. I didn't sense that the narrator felt much emotion one way or another about those who spent their days and nights in the prison...rather was just making more subjective observations.

I also enjoyed reading your observations...it's very helpful to see others perspectives.

Robert Adamson said...

rob,
i think that you did a good job of exploring Dickens' "Newgate". i agree with you that he does a great job of painting the horrible reality of prision and making the reader feel fortunate for what he has. I noticed that you said Dickens described it so well that you could see it even though you will probally never experience prision first hand. well i have to say i have seen you downtown at some of you finer moments and i wouldnt be so sure of that if i was you. haha jk...good job